An initiative in the framework of Dubai Expo2020 to emphasize the tenth Sustainable Development goal of reduced inequalities
From images to action, the Better World Fund (BWF) joins forces with partners to create a platform assembling filmmakers, writers, scientists, environmentalists and project leaders to explore and activate palpable initiatives to preserve and protect the planet.
The Better World Endowment Fund is composed of a team of world-class experts, influencers and activists from the business, academia, media and entertainment industries. This tribe of highly – influential people is continuously connected digitally and meets periodically during high-level global events.
Dubai Expo 2020 will be the stage to convey universal messages. In this framework the BWF will support the production of a short film of 12′ length maximum with a budget of up to 40,000 EUROS. The film shall tackle the topic of handicap and people of determination.
This initiative is under the patronage of H.E Noura Al Kaabi, UAE Minister of Culture and Youth and is supported by the Embassy of France and the Institut Français in the UAE.
Applications open | June 17
- Open to confirmed filmmakers*
- From UAE
Deadline to apply | July 1st
- Jury composed of Minister of Culture and Youth, Better World Fund & French Embassy
Notification of selection | July 12
- Selection of one promising project based on synopsis and treatment to be announced at Cannes festival
Development and production process | July 20 – onwards
- Meetings with the production team to revise script, define the shooting plan…
What happens for the selected filmmaker?
- The selected filmmaker will be officially announced during the BWF event atCannes Film Festival on the 12th of July2021.
- A scriptwriter will be working with the selected candidate througout summer to finalize the plot.
- The production and post production is setup to take place from september till November 2021.
- The film will premiere on the 3rd of December 2021 at the French Pavillon of Dubai Expo 2021 followed by a VIP gala/diner.
Experienced filmmakers who haveat least 1 completed work listed on their resume/CV that has been supported by a presenting organization (e.g., film festival or screening series) or funder (for aproject grant from either afoundation organization or artistic institutions.
UAE resident (proof of permanentresidency in any emirate)
1. Artistic Merit
Distinctive and authentic artistic “voice”
Effective and engaging use of structure,rhythm, aesthetics, cinematography, etc.., toconvey substance and meaning
Within this diverse roster, our highest priority is to support artists who share the Fund’s corevalues of innovation/risk and humility and inclusion
The feasibility of the project is indicated by the progress of the project, of the calendar, and of the budget.